Address: Deák tér, underpass
How to get there: Metro M1, M2, M3 to Deák tér
Opening hours: from 10:00 to 17:00 daily, closed on Mondays
The location is part of an original underground tunnel (in service until 1955); a museum was opened here in 1975. Originally, the exhibition opened on the metro construction, the achievements and the plans for the future. This time was the peak phase of public transport developments in Budapest. The museum was renovated in 1996, and today's exhibition celebrates the one hundred years anniversary of the operation of the Millennium Underground, by presenting the history of the development of mainland Europe's first subway service. The collection includes a number of vintage carriages, which ran on the original line built for the Millennium celebrations in 1896, along with architect's plans, various drawings and other memorabilia from the era.