Location: 7th district, Herzl Tivadar tér, bordered by Wesselényi u. and Dob u.
A Viennese architect, Ludwig Förster designed the building with Romantic and Morisco motifs. Construction took place between 1854 and 1859. Cast-iron columns support the ceiling and the women's gallery, which was a well-advanced technical structure at the time. The building is the largest synagogue in Europe, distinct with its red and white brickwork, onion domes and rich ceramic ornamentation. In 1931, a Heroes' Chapel was raised behind the Synagogue. In 1932, a Jewish Museum was added, which now contains an extremely rich collection of Jewish artifacts, spanning the last two millennia. During the Second World War, the Synagogue marked the boundary of the Budapest ghetto, where the Jews were confined. The building served as an escape route for many of them. Nevertheless, over 600 thousand Hungarian Jews were killed during this era, which is commemorated by the Holocaust Memorial (Zsidó Mártírok emlékműve), a sculpture by Imre Varga, raised in 1991. On the memorial, each of the leaves symbolizes a precious life, lost during the conflict-massacre. The National Jewish Museum (Zsidó Múzeum) is located right next door, matching the architectural style of the Synagogue.