Address: 22nd district, Balatoni út (nr. 70) – corner of Szabadkai út
How to get there: Bus 50
Open: 10am-dusk daily
Beginning in 1889, the political system started to change, and the monuments and statues of communism were gradually removed from Budapest's streets. In 1991, the Budapest Assembly came to a decision concerning the future fate of them, and wherever the individual district did not intend to keep these statues, they were to be brought together to form an open-air museum. Ákos Eleőd won the tender for the design of the future Statue Park, which was to be located on the Tétényi plane of the 22nd district.
The Museum opened in the autumn of 1993. Statues include those of Lenin, Marx, Engels, Dimitrov and Ostapenko, along with memorials to The Soviet Soldier, the Communist Martyrs, and the Republic of Councils. As visitors pass through the main entrance, the lady selling tickets puts on a tape of stirring Soviet music.