Address: 7th district, Hársfa utca 47
How to get there: Metro M1 to Vörösmarty u.
Open: 10am-6pm Tue-Sun
The Stamp Museum was established in 1930, and was moved to its present location nine years later. The building was designed by Gyula Rimanóczy, and now serves as headquarters for the Ministry of IT and Communications. The exhibition displays Hungarian, as well as foreign stamps, organized by continent and country. The collection includes the first Hungarian postage stamp, as well as the following curiosities:
"Inverse Madonna", 5,000 crown denomination, clearance print;
"Black Penny", the first postal stamps issued in the world, 1840;
"Red Mercury", Austria, 1856;
"Moldova Ox Head", 1858, the rarest denomination;
"Basel Dove", Swiss cantonal stamp, 1845.
The ever-growing collection now comprises some 12.5 million stamps, some of which are exhibited in the János Xantus Museum, in Győr. The museum also organizes various special exhibitions, including the artwork of philatelic designers.