Budapest Hotel Charles - Apartment Hotel HOME

The building serves as an operating Church, with masses on Sunday mornings, and concerts in the evenings

Budapest Matthias Church on Castle Hill

Address: 1st district, Szentháromság tér 2

Open: 9-17 Mon-Fri, 9-13 Sat, 13-17 Sun

 

The church was named after the well known, and beloved Hungarian King, Matthias, who was the first to receive the crown here. Since then, it has served as a Coronation Church, thus rising to the honor of being a sanctuary of the nation. The original building, which is mentioned on records from the 13th century, was the main church of Buda Castle, built by French masters, in early Gothic style. Over the centuries, it has been consistently enlarged and rebuilt. During the Turkish occupation of the 16th - early 17th century, it served as a mosque. In the late 17th, and 18th century, it was owned by the Franciscans, and later by the Jesuits. Complete reconstruction took place between 1874 and 1896, under the supervision of Frigyes Schulek. The neo-Gothic style building then received the name: the Church of Our Lady. In accordance, the statue of Mary stands on the main altar. This altar also exhibits the crown, which was sent by the Pope in 2000. One side chapel displays ancient sculpture of piety, another hides the tomb of King Béla III and his wife, Anne of Châtillon.  The frescoes and stained glass windows are the work of Károly Lotz, Mihály Zichy and Bertalan Székely. The building serves as an operating Church, with masses on Sunday mornings, and concerts in the evenings, as well as a Museum, tracing the history of the Catholic Church, and well as that of the Holy Crown, and exhibiting masterpieces of the treasury: ecclesiastical vestments, coronation robes and thrones, and gold ware and interesting stone monuments.
"...three star hotel with four star restaurant and five star service   ...on two star prices!" - James Woodward, Ohio